Friday, August 14, 2009

The Crabs Have a New Home

The Red Crab and the Blue Crab are in their new home. Last night I had the pleasure of gifting them to Katelynn Corinne (age 1 week). She stuck out her tongue, but I think she liked them. Her mom and dad sure did. I'm glad, because knitting crab legs is the most tedious job in the world and I'd hate to think it was in vain.

Also Norberta the Dragon moved in with Katelynn Last night. She's been with me for months, and I kind of miss her, but she's already found a good spot in Katelynn's room.


So that leaves me with only 4 WIPs: Angee Socks, Fern Lace Scarf, Ballet Camisole and Whisper Cardigan. Next up on the list is the Cold Mountian Stole. I have to wait until I get to a certain point on the Whisper Cardigan before starting because they share the same needle. I know I could just buy another needle, but I'm trying to resist the temptation.

In book news, I passed the 75 book mark at the end of July so everything else is gravy from this point out. I've only gotten through four books so far in August, but they've all been really good.

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates: Intense, incredibly well written story of what happens to a couple when they realize that they are not destined for greater things. Not recommended for anyone with relationship problems.

Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham: Third Albert Campion mystery. I'm reading these in order and Albert, as a character, is really growing on me. These were written in the thirties and they always remind me of Cary Grant for some reason.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe: Fun book by a first time author. Connie is a Ph.D candidate at Harvard researching early American History. She has two tasks for the summer: clean out her grandmother's house and get it ready to sell and select a topic for her dissertation. She finds out a lot about her family and herself while completing both tasks. The book is set in 1991 when cell phones were scarce and there wasn't anything on the internet so she has to spend a lot of time doing research the old fashioned way.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: This is supposedly the most popular children's book in the world right now. I thought it was cute, but it wasn't Harry Potter. The book is a series of vignettes about the life of Nobody Owens a kid who grows up in a graveyard (because a psycho killer is after him). The illustrations are great and the book is well-written. It just wasn't for me. I would recommend it for kids age 10+.

There. Are you happy Lizann?

No comments:

Post a Comment