Thursday, March 5, 2009

The (REALLY) Thin Place


I've been trying really hard to formulate my thoughts about The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis. It's been really difficult. Not because I have too many thoughts, but because I really don't have any at all.

I heard about this book on NPR and they were just raving about it. I'm not sure they really read it. I only got halfway through and I gave up. I will stipulate that the author has a talent for prose. It really was some of the most evocative writing I've ever read. And her characters are incredibly fleshed out. The problem is that nothing happens. There are way too many characters and because there isn't a plot, there's really no way to keep them straight. Because there isn't a plot, the pacing is non-existent. The slow pace isn't helped by the short, disjointed chapters that hop between around 15 characters.

Reading this book is a chore. I would rather clean than read this book again (or finish it for the first time). I really hate to clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment