Friday, March 20, 2009

Movie 10, Book 8


Like many of my generation, I have seen The Princess Bride maybe a hundred times. I can quote large passages of it ad nauseum. But until recently, I had never even though about reading the book. I'm glad I did because it gave me a prime example of a situation where the movie is better than the book.

I don't mean to imply that the book is bad. It's a great book, it really is. But the movie is so much better.

Things I liked about the book:

  • Cinematic imagery
  • Fezzik rhyming (he even thinks in rhyme)
  • Inigo's backstory

Things I could have done without:

  • Anything written by Goldman in his own voice (unfortunately there is a lot of this)
  • The long lost Buttercup's Baby sequel (don't even read it--it's not worth your time)

Overall, it's a really funny book that inspired a truly great movie. Well worth the effort.

P.S. If you're the type to check the reviews on Amazon before reading a book, be sure to read the reviews by people who don't realize that there is no S. Morgenstern and the book isn't really an abridgment at all. I can't tell whether they're meant to be serious or ironic--and that's what make them art.



No comments:

Post a Comment