Friday, September 18, 2009

Is It Procrastination If There's No Actual Deadline?

There are times in my life when I develop an aversion to a book or project that I've been really looking forward to getting started on. I'm not talking about books that I was never going to read--ever (ie anything by Dan Brown or Nicholas Sparks)--but books that I've ordered from the library and have waited a long time for. And when they finally arrive, they're off-putting for some reason.

Last week I wrote a little bit about how Lizann convinced me to read The Twilight Saga (even though up to that point I was not really interested). What's strange to me is that I can sit down and read four books that I'm completely ambivalent about without a second thought, but something I'm really interested in can sit around for weeks without even being cracked.

Case in point--Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It's been sitting in the To Be Read pile for five weeks and I've been putting off reading it. Well, I finally did and I feel completely irrational.

It is a great book. Great characters, great setting--the circus--what's not to love? Although there was one positive outcome from my procrastination. The day I finished the book was the day Ringling pulled in to town. How fortuitous was that?

No comments:

Post a Comment